I’ve been asked this question several times in the last few days, so I figured that I’d make a quick list.
- Necessary menstruation-related medical items are taxed as “luxury goods”, along with alcohol, tobacco, jewelry, and sports cars.
- Women still hold less than 20% of Congress seats.
- Women are paid 23% less than men.
- When people get married, it is assumed the woman will take the man’s last name.
- It is assumed that a father will “give away” his daughter to another man in a wedding ceremony, like property.
- Women feel ashamed after being sexually assaulted.
- Instead of teaching people to not objectify women, we teach the women how to prevent rape.
- We tell women that walking alone at night makes them “easy targets”.
- A movie’s rating depends on how much a woman enjoys the sex scene.
- Women’s bodies are legislated.
- Fast food restaurants ask if a child wants a “boy toy” or a “girl toy”.
- People call others weak by using the terms “pussy” and “bitch”.
- Women are expected to be hairless from their eyes down.
And not only women are harmed by the patriarchy. Men are too.
- Male sexual assault is minimized and dismissed, which keeps victims from coming forward.
- Men are discouraged from spending too much time with their children and are seen as weak when their spouses are the financial providers.
- Many men may not even realize they’re being abused in domestic violence scenarios, because there is no female-on-male violence dialogue.
- Toxic masculinity makes men afraid to show emotion, a “feminine” trait, which causes unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as a higher rate of alcoholism, aggression toward women and gay men, and suicide.